Thursday, March 26, 2015

What Should I Do With My Life?

Doing work that is slightly more fun.
I have a great, solid job that bores me to tears 5 days a week.  Obviously I shouldn't be working at this job.  The real problem isn't the job, though.  The real problem is that I have no idea what I want to do with my life.  So I Googled it.  
Google came back with an article from Time and it told me to figure out what my gifts, passions, and values are.  Figuring this out is harder than getting into a graduate program to pursue whatever I wind up wanting to do.  I have a gift for academic writing and editing.  I have helped two friends get into graduate school and another pass law school.  I am passionate about children, books, Judaism, healthy eating, and unhealthy eating.  I don't think this makes a career.

Google also sent me to a tiny Buddha with 6 questions to answer.  These questions are too fanciful to help me, I think.  When I think about what I love in life, my greatest accomplishments, and what I'd do if I had a billion dollars I think about decorating my future house, taking care of kids, and the joy of working at summer camp.  This also does not a career make.

I took a quiz on Buzzfeed that told me I should move apartments.  This slightly more serious quiz told me I should do something having to do with writing.  I think this would bring me joy but, really, how to start?

This is the craziest dilemma as we start thinking about moving and kids and long-term life.  All of a sudden, plugging away at my marketing job doesn't feel like an option for even one more week, much less another year or more.  This is the beginning of everything, though, isn't it?

P.S. Google turned up this extremely helpful site: http://wtfshouldidowithmylife.com/  It says I should be a taste tester and I am down with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment